Commercial Truck Insurance Filings

Progressive offers state and federal filings, also called financial proof of responsibility, that is a guarantee to the government that you are carrying sufficient truck insurance protection. Once you file for authority, we can take care of the rest. Learn more about commercial truck insurance and filings by state.

What Are Commercial Truck Filings?

What Are Commercial Truck Filings?

Commercial truck filings are proof that you have enough Liability insurance to meet minimum Federal and state requirements.

The Federal and state governments have their own separate commercial truck filing requirements which can be confusing.
For example:

  • The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act requires some businesses to file a special certificate with the U.S. Department of Transportation if they conduct business across state lines. This certificate serves as proof that a federal financial responsibility endorsement, such as the MSC 90, has been added to an insurance policy.
  • A Form E Filing, which is a state filing, certifies that your Liability coverage complies with your business' home state requirements. Another state filing, Form H, proves that you have adequate Cargo Liability insurance in that state.

Fortunately, when you purchase your policy through Progressive, we'll take care of all of your commercial truck filings for you. We can usually turn them around within 48 hours of when you buy your policy.

Typical information you'll need to get your commercial truck filings might include:

  • Business address
  • Phone number
  • Social Security number
  • Your Doing Business As, or (DBA) name

You might also need:

  • Docket number (MC#)
  • Department of Transportation Number (DOT#)
  • FEIN# for OS32

To learn more about how Progressive can take care of your commercial truck filings, visit progressivecommercial.com or call the number listed on the screen to speak with a licensed insurance representative.

Hide Script

Federal Filings

We offer federal filings for trucking businesses that engage in:

  • Interstate trucking
  • Hauling hazardous cargo (placard)*
  • For-hire trucking (common, contract)
  • For-hire passenger transportation*

As an example, you are required to have a federal filing if you are a motor carrier doing long haul trucking, regional trucking or if you are specialist. For-hire truckers hauling nonexempt commodities across the state line must also carry a federal filing. The filings required for these types of businesses are the BMC-34 filing and the BMC-32 form.

Federal filings are not required for businesses that never cross the state line or engage intrastate trucking.

State Filings

If you haul exempt commodities you are required to submit a state filing unless you are in one of the following states:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Maryland
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming

State filings for intrastate exempt commodity haulers are the Form E Filing, the Form F Filing, and the Form H Filing. Learn more about different insurance filings.

Sectors That Do Not Require Federal or State Filings

The following are considered unregulated trucking sectors that do not require a federal or state registration.

  • Private carriers hauling their own goods, such as manufacturers, farming and retail operations
  • Owner operators hauling under someone else's authority, such as a truck owner leased on to a motor carrier

Other Filings and Certificates of Insurance (COI)

Other reasons besides trucking authority might require a business to submit proof of insurance. For example, drivers with probationary licenses or owners of oversized vehicles may need a non-trucking filing or a certificate of insurance (COI).

To verify if you need proof of insurance, check the list below for your business type or vehicle class and state of operation.

Who States Filing or Certificate of Insurance
Commercial balloon excursions CA PL914 Filing
Commercial river rafting excursions CA PL914 Filing
Commercial skiing (class C) excursions CA PL914 Filing
Courtesy transportation (not for-hire) CT MC1641 Filing
  CA TL1000 Filing
Driving schools CA California Driving School Certificate
  VT TA-VN-31 Driver Training COI
For-hire transport CA MCP-65 Filing
Leasing or renting a vehicle CT R1325C – IRB3613C Filing
Movers of household goods CA TL676 Filing
Oversized vehicles, trailers or loads OH OS-32 Filing
  AL, AR, LA, MS, PA Oversized/Overweight Vehicles COI
Oversized or Overweight vehicles, trailers and/or loads NY Perm 17
Overweight vehicle CA MCP-65 Filing
  FL Florida Department of Motor Vehicles COI
Reinstate a suspended license All SR-22 Filing
  IN SR50 Filing
Towing businesses MT Form MV5 COI
  CO Form 12
  CO Form 14
  TX Form T
  OK WA Form
Transporting goods or people across state lines All BMC-91X Filing
  All Form MCS-90

*A Progressive Commercial policy currently does not insure businesses that engage in the for-hire transportation of hazardous cargo or of passengers.

Get a Free Quote