Get a Truck

Instead of jumping right in and purchasing a truck, you could also consider leasing and operating under another’s authority. Most commercial leases are open-ended which allows the business the ability to use the vehicle however and whenever it is necessary without penalties at the end of the leasing period, like you would when purchasing a personal vehicle.

Operating under someone else might mean fewer logistics and overall costs on your end.

If you do decide to lease under a motor carrier that provides your primary liability coverage, you could benefit from getting Non-Trucking Liability (NTL) coverage while using your truck for personal or non-business purposes. This could be anything from going shopping or visiting family and friends and covers expenses associated with injuries to others or damage to other peoples’ property that you cause off the job while not hauling any type of cargo.

In addition, if you’re an owner-operator driving on lease to a motor carrier who provides your primary liability, you will most likely be required to get physical damage coverage. This type of coverage protects you from any type of physical damage, including collisions, overturning, fires, or if your vehicle is stolen. Click here to learn more about Physical Damage Insurance.

What Else Do You Need?

Depending on where and what you drive, there are a lot of things to consider. How does the CSA (Compliance, Safety, Accountability) program affect you – do you fully understand CSA? Is your Department of Transportation driver file compliant? What sort of training do you need? Fortunately, there are resources online with many of them in one location.

`Html.Partial("~/Views/Core/tracking/_monetateJSTag.cshtml", Model)