Lowcountry Crab Rice
This dish makes a fresh and light entree or a great side dish to a steak for a fun surf ‘n’ turf option.
Total Time: 10 min | Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Yield: 1 Serving
Tools You'll Need
- Large electric skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Cutting board and knife
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. picked lump and claw crabmeat (fresh or canned)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 tbsp. butter, plus 1 tbsp.
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus 1/4 tsp.
- 2 tbsp. cooked bacon pieces
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame (benne) seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked okra (fresh or frozen), ringed
- Heat oil in the electric skillet on moderately high heat (8).
- Add crabmeat, stir with spatula and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Dice the celery, pepper and onion very small and add to the pan. Add butter and stir with spatula. About 2 minutes.
- Add water to cool down the pan if it starts to burn.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and continue stirring.
- Stir in bacon pieces and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and add the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce and sesame seeds and remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Stir in the okra and cook through, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.