Truck Insurance Filings

Commercial truck filings prove that you have enough Liability insurance to meet minimum federal and state requirements.

Progressive offers state and federal filings, also called financial proof of responsibility, that are a guarantee to the government that you are carrying sufficient truck insurance protection. Once you file for authority, we can take care of the rest. Learn more about commercial truck insurance and filings by state.

Federal filings

We offer federal filings for trucking businesses that engage in:

  • Interstate trucking
  • Hauling hazardous cargo (placard)*
  • For-hire trucking (common, contract)
  • For-hire passenger transportation

State filings

If you haul exempt commodities, you are required to submit a state filing unless you are in one of the following states:

  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Maryland
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming

State filings for intrastate exempt commodity haulers are the Form E Filing, the Form F Filing, and the Form H Filing. Learn more about different insurance filings.

Sectors that do not require federal or state filings

The following are considered unregulated trucking sectors that do not require a federal or state registration:

  • Private carriers hauling their own goods, such as manufacturers, farming and retail operations
  • Owner operators hauling under someone else's authority, such as a truck owner leased on to a motor carrier

Other filings and certificates of insurance (COI)

Besides trucking authority, other reasons might require you to submit proof of insurance. For example, drivers with probationary licenses or owners of oversized vehicles may need a non-trucking filing or a certificate of insurance (COI).

To verify if you need proof of insurance, check the list below for your business type or vehicle class and state of operation:

Commercial balloon excursions

  • California: PL914 Filing

Commercial river rafting excursions

  • California: PL914 Filing

Commercial skiing (class C) excursions

  • California: PL914 Filing

Courtesy transportation (not for-hire)

  • California: TL1000 Filing
  • Connecticut: MC1641 Filing

Driving schools

  • California: California Driving School Certificate
  • Vermont: TA-VN-31 Driver Training COI

For-hire transport

  • California: MCP-65 Filing

Leasing or renting a vehicle

  • Connecticut: R1325C-IRB3613C Filing

Movers of household goods

  • California: TL676 Filing

Oversized vehicles, trailers, or loads

  • Ohio: OS-32 Filing
  • AL, AR, LA, MS & PA: Oversized/Overweight Vehicles COI

Oversized or Overweight vehicles, trailers and/or loads

  • New York: Perm 17

Overweight Vehicles

  • California: MCP-65 Filing
  • Florida: Florida Department of Motor Vehicles COI

Reinstate a suspended license

  • All States: SR-22 Filing
  • Indiana: SR50 Filing

Towing businesses

  • Colorado: Form 12 and Form 14
  • Montana: Form MV5 COI
  • Oklahoma: WA Form
  • Texas: Form T

Transporting goods or people across state lines

  • All States: BMC-91X Filing and Form MCS-90
Man sits in vehicle and gets commercial auto quote on his phone

Start a policy with Progressive Commercial and we’ll handle your truck insurance filings

Get a quoteOr, call 1-888-806-9598