Non-Trucking Liability Insurance

If you're under permanent lease to a motor carrier that provides your Primary Liability coverage, you could benefit from our Non-Trucking Liability (NTL) coverage with unlimited radius while using your truck for a personal non-business purpose.

Non-Trucking Liability insurance can pay for medical and associated expenses for injuries or even death that you cause to other people or for any damage caused to other peoples' property. Non-Trucking Liability insurance provides liability coverage for the truck when it's used for personal use only, such as when you are at home on your day off and use the truck to go to the movies, pick up groceries or to visit a friend. This endorsement only modifies the liability portion of your policy.

NTL does not provide liability coverage for any use that can be considered business use or to carry cargo. Trips to and from the terminal, fueling up, trips for maintenance or vehicle servicing, use during layovers, dead-heading (driving without a load), and even getting the truck washed may be considered using the auto for a business purpose. Business use would be covered by the motor carrier's primary liability insurance.

Bobtail Insurance vs Non-Trucking Liability Insurance

Non-Trucking Liability insurance is often incorrectly referred to as bobtail insurance. However, bobtail insurance is not the same thing as Non-Trucking Liability insurance. Please review your contract or verify with your Motor Carrier to determine exactly which coverage you need.

Competitive Rates for Non-Trucking Liability Insurance

Get a quote online or call 1-888-806-9598 to speak to a licensed insurance representative that will help explain your options.

Non-Trucking Liability Insurance Exceptions and Restrictions

Non-Trucking Liability insurance coverage does not apply when you are pulling a loaded trailer, operating on behalf of a trucking company, or using a vehicle for any revenue generating purpose. These types of activities are covered by primary trucking liability insurance.

Non-Trucking Liability insurance is not available on policies with an FHWA (federal/ICC), MCS-90, SR-22 or state filing.

  • Note - This is a general description of the coverage, and is not a substitute for the policy. The policy contract controls; see policy contract for details.

Get a Free Quote