Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Insurance
Non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) insurance is a type of for-hire livery coverage designed to protect business vehicles used to transport patients to medical appointments on a pre-arranged basis.
NEMT livery differs from other forms of livery in a few important ways. Unlike taxi services, NEMT businesses are typically compensated by Medicaid or medical service providers.
NEMT vehicles lack the lightbars and sirens commonly found in ambulances and other emergency vehicles. Minivans, passenger vans and SUVs are among the most common commercial autos used for non-emergency medical transportation.
Non-emergency medical transportation insurance requirements
Insurance carriers usually have a set of non-emergency medical transportation requirements and rating factors you’ll need to consider. These include:
- The vehicle’s age and seating capacity – Many insurance carriers have requirements for older vehicles or vehicles exceeding a certain number of seats.
- The age of your drivers – Younger drivers might affect your eligibility.
- The vehicle’s features – Vehicles equipped with lightbars, sirens and life support equipment, including oxygen tanks, are typically prohibited.
- Safety equipment and written procedures – Your insurance company might have guidelines for vehicles with wheelchair access.
The municipalities and private facilities you work with might have minimum coverage requirements. Be sure to check your business contracts for exact coverage needs.
Non-emergency medical transportation insurance cost
Your NEMT insurance cost depends on a variety of factors, including your:
- Location and travel radius
- Driving history
- Vehicle’s value, including any attached equipment
- Vehicle’s age and type
- Claims history
- Coverage needs
Make sure you’re not risking quality coverage for a cheaper insurance rate. It’s important to have a non-emergency medical transportation insurance policy that both fits your budget and offers adequate protection.
Learn more about factors that affect your rate
Start a NEMT auto insurance quote today
Insure your NEMT vehicles with the #1 commercial auto insurer in America*. We currently write non-emergency medical transportation insurance in select states and offer several discounts† to help you save. Here’s just a few:
- Years in business – You could save on your premium if you’ve been in business for three years or more.
- Prior livery experience – You could be eligible for a discount if you have previous experience transporting people.
- Existing business insurance – Let us know if you have an active BOP or general liability policy.
- Paying your policy in full – Most customers who pay their policy up front can save up to 15%‡ on their premium.
A Progressive policy also gives you access to expert customer support, in-house claims adjusters, flexible coverage and payment options, and more. Call us today to speak with a licensed agent who’ll help you get the coverages you need for your non-emergency medical transportation business. You can also start a quote online.