Home business insurance
Home business insurance is coverage tailored to protect home businesses and their owners. It’s important to remember that renters and homeowners insurance doesn’t typically cover business liabilities. For example, a client visiting your home office slips on a loose rug and is injured. Without business insurance you could be responsible for the full cost of various medical and legal fees.
Starting a home business insurance quote is easy with the Progressive Advantage® Business Program. Start a quote online or give us a call and we’ll help you get the customized coverage you need.
Do home-based businesses need insurance?
You should consider carrying home business insurance if you answer “yes” to any of the following:
- Do customers and clients visit your home?
- Do you store supplies, inventory or products at your home?
- Would damage to your home interrupt your business?
- Does your business have employees?
While these are some of the most common questions to ask, it’s still a good idea to think about other business risks. For example, a home-based consultant may not fit any of the above scenarios, but may still choose to carry professional liability to protect themselves and their business.
Common home-based business insurance coverages:
- General Liability: This is the most common coverage for home businesses. It helps to pay for third-party injuries and damages for which you’re responsible.
- Commercial Auto: You need commercial auto insurance for the vehicles you use for business. We cover most types of commercial vehicles, from cars and delivery vans to heavy trucks.
- Professional Liability: Also called errors and omissions (E&O) insurance, professional liability protects your business against claims of negligence related to a professional service.
- Workers’ Compensation: If you have employees, you’re usually required to carry workers’ comp insurance. It protects your employees from injuries or illnesses that can occur at work.
How much does home businesses insurance cost?
The cost of insuring your home business is based on a variety of factors, such as your business’s size, location and type of work. For example, a home-based bakery that has employees will likely pay a different rate than an architect who works from home by themself.
Learn more about the factors that determine your rate.
Get a home business insurance
Choosing the best coverage for your business might seem complicated, but we’re here to help. Give us a call or start a quote online and insure your home-based business today.