Bundle Save an average of 12% on auto!Disclosure
    Woman leans on van and checks Oregon commercial auto insurance policy on phone

    Protect your business vehicles with an Oregon commercial auto policy

    Many of Oregon’s small businesses need commercial auto insurance to protect from accidents and other situations that involve their work vehicles. Personal auto policies won’t cover most vehicles used for business because they’re considered to have more risk than vehicles designated for personal use.

    Hundreds of thousands of small business owners across the nation trust us to protect their work vehicles and livelihoods. Each gets customized coverage to match their unique needs, whether they own a single pickup truck in Eugene or several delivery trucks in Portland.

    Commercial auto coverage for a variety of business types:

    Business Auto

    Vehicles driven by employees or used for business activities, such as visiting clients or making deliveries, usually need commercial auto insurance. Personal auto insurance typically doesn’t cover vehicles used for work purposes.

    More Info


    Contractors need commercial auto coverage for things like transporting various tools and supplies and traveling between job sites. These are business-related activities that need the additional protection of a commercial policy.

    More Info

    Food Truck

    Food trucks and other food service businesses, like restaurants and ice cream vendors, depend on their commercial vehicles. Most food trucks have expensive equipment attached to them that a commercial auto policy can cover.

    More Info

    For-Hire Livery

    Any vehicle used to transport people for a fee must be insured by a commercial auto policy. This includes taxis, limousines and non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) vehicles. Some ridesharing vehicles might require commercial coverage.

    More Info

    Heavy Truck

    We’re the #1 truck insurer in the nationΔ, insuring everything from dump trucks to tractor trailers. Our network of truck repair shops and specialty claims services is accessible whether you’re driving locally or outside of Oregon.

    More Info

    Tow Truck

    We offer protection whether you own a wrecker, rollback or roadside repair vehicle. You can add specialty tow coverages like On-hook and Garagekeepers Legal Liability to protect you when a customer’s vehicle is in your possession.

    More Info

    Oregon commercial auto insurance cost

    Several factors affect the cost of your Oregon commercial auto policy, including your:


    Some industries have more risk than others. A carpenter who carries tools and equipment to various job sites every day can expect to pay more than a consultant who runs occasional errands.


    Your vehicle’s size and use affect your rate. A heavy food truck with a grill and a deep fryer will likely have a higher premium than a small catering van with minimal equipment.

    Driving history

    Your commercial auto insurance carrier will run a motor vehicle report on all drivers with access to your business vehicles. Drivers with accidents or violations on their driving record will usually cause your rate to increase. You can expect your insurance company to take the past three years of driving history into account.


    It’s common to pay more for commercial auto coverage in a large city like Portland than in a smaller city like Bend. Keep in mind, prices are usually higher in locations that experience more claims or more expensive settlements than other locations. Areas susceptible to weather-related events, such as earthquakes and wildfires, are also factors.

    Travel radius

    The distance you routinely travel can influence your commercial auto rate. A vehicle with a local route within Medford’s city limits is considered lower risk than a vehicle with a regional route that covers all of Southern Oregon.

    Coverage needs

    The amount of coverage you need affects your premium. Policyholders with the Oregon state minimum limits of 25/50/20 will pay less than a policyholder needing a combined single limit of $1M.

    Oregon commercial auto insurance requirements

    Oregon state law requires all commercial auto policies to have a minimum liability limit of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury and $20,000 for property damage (i.e., 25/50/20). Some policies are required to carry higher limits based on the types of vehicles they insure.

    Personal injury protection (PIP) is also required. This is Oregon’s “no-fault” coverage, which helps pay for the medical expenses of you and your passengers, regardless of who caused an accident.

    The state also requires that you have uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) and underinsured motorist (UIM) protection. These coverages pay for the medical expenses that result from injuries caused by someone who doesn’t have any or enough insurance.

    Oregon commercial auto resources:

    Common professions that need commercial auto insurance in OR:

    Browse more examples of professions we insure.

    Get Oregon commercial auto insurance with Progressive

    We’re the #1 commercial auto insurer* in the country, insuring over 1.5 million commercial vehicles. Here’s a few of the many reasons small business owners trust us:

    24/7 policy service by phone or online

    We understand you might need help outside of regular business hours, whether you need to adjust your coverages, request an insurance certificate or pay a bill.

    Specialized commercial claims adjusters

    Our in-house adjusters specialize in handling commercial auto claims to help you get back on the road fast after an accident.


    Business insurance options

    Commercial auto insurance anywhere in Oregon

    We offer Oregon commercial auto insurance statewide, including these major cities:

    • Portland
    • Beaverton
    • Eugene
    • Hillsboro
    • Springfield
    • Salem
    • Bend
    • Gresham
    • Medford
    • Corvallis

    More information

    Customizable commercial auto coverage for your Oregon business

    Get a quoteOr, call 1-888-806-9598